Saturday, August 28, 2004

Port 445 mystery

Since last few days I was wondering why port 445 is open on my computer. This fact is scary that not only it was open all the time it is also a TCP port. Due to load of other concerns I ignored this behavior after conducting a Trojan scan and updating my firewall. Today I searched on Google for reference and awestruck by the fact that this is a NetBIOS port. I quickly checked my logs. Got some relief after finding no misadventure there.

Reason being, few days before service engineer came and he ridiculously changed settings to enable TCP/IP over NetBIOS. So heres a link from which I obtained information to disable the above.

http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/

I know a shortcut though. Simply double click the blinking two-computer icon in your system tray. Yeah which shows the network traffic :). Select properties -> Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click Properties -> Click Advanced Button in new pop-up -> Select the WINS tab -> Select radio-button disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

One more thing uncheck Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing. As these two were also enabled.

To check above procedure worked or not. Go to command prompt and type netstat -an. I am relieved by seeing 445 is not in front of my IP.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you can also get the 'StopListening' freeware (just google for it) to close this port (and others) very simply!

September 1, 2004 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Max said...

But that will take away the fun og "Do It Yourself" :). Thanks for the reference.

September 5, 2004 at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home